Job Description :
- iJustice (http://www.ijustice.in) is looking to hire a lawyer registered to practice in Indian courts.
- A candidate for this position should aspire to work in the area of public interest law and can expect a steep learning curve on the job.
- He/ she should be passionately interested in constitutional law, public policy and legislative reforms and be enthusiastic about a litigation practice.
- The candidate will be involved in identification of cases/ issues that iJustice will get involved with and carrying out extensive research to advance philosophically consistent arguments and strategies in favour of advancing a jurisprudence based on individual liberties and the rule of law protected by the Constitution.
- He/ she will be required to represent clients in High Courts and the Supreme Court, assist senior counsels, oversee and manage case work and court procedures.
- He/ she will assist, support and network with iJustice’s target audience.
- He/ she should be a self-starter, work well independently, a team leader as well as an effective team player.
- iJustice is a New Delhi based public interest law firm, a new initiative of the Centre for Civil Society, New Delhi (http://www.ccs.in) & Atlas Economic Research Foundation, USA (http://atlasnetwork.org).
- iJustice is a platform to emphasize upon the spirit of fundamental rights and the rule of law enshrined in the Indian Constitution, increase the common man’s access to a complicated judicial system and refine intellectual inputs for the judiciary and law makers.
- The mission of iJustice is driven by four goals –
- Litigation support: Intervention through writs or public interest litigation on behalf of individual plaintiffs or groups to establish precedent setting constitutional principles while seeking to provide justice to the affected parties.
- Legislative reforms: Advocating changes with concerned governments to bring changes in Central and State laws that are archaic, absurd and unnecessary or just exist as means for rent seeking.
- Public awareness: Build awareness in the court of public opinion to supplement legal efforts and ensure issues garner support from the masses.
- Capacity building: Train judges, lawyers, and litigators on principles of freedom, individual liberty, rule of law and separation of powers, drafting support on public policy initiatives, training grassroots activists to incorporate legal strategies into their litigation efforts.
- Individual plaintiffs and groups, whose constitutional rights have been affected by state action.
- Governments, judiciary, legal professionals and law schools.
- Non-profit organizations.
- At least 3 years of post qualification work experience as a lawyer in India. Fresh law graduates or lawyers with lesser experience showing commitment to the iJustice mission will be considered.
- Legal research and drafting skills are essential. An understanding of how the court system in India work will be an advantage.
- Demonstrable interest in public interest law and legal issues which burden the common man’s right to pursue his fundamental freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution.
- Position is based in New Delhi, India.
- Competitive compensation depending on aspirations, prior experience and level of commitment of the candidate
- Please apply with a cover e-mail containing a statement of interest and resume to <[email protected]>. Position is open until filled.
Subscribe to Latest Posts !