About the Course:
The LL.M. program in investments and securities Laws is an advanced program of legal study that is customized to the needs of the individual student and working legal professionals. Having Committed to provide the highest quality of education the field of securities markets, the NISM has entered into collaboration with India’s premier Law university, Maharashtra National Law University, Mumbai (Hereinafter referred as MNLU) for offering this LL.M. program in Investment and Securities Laws. This specialized LL.M. program, designed primarily for the law students intending to work in the financial markets, offers full-time, intensive academic training in the legal regulation of securities and investments in India.
In line with our mission for the academic excellence, the course offers depth of background in a broad array of topics arising out of the corporate law and securities regulation topics including the regulation of issuance of securities, secondary trading of securities, market regulation, enforcement issues, corporate finance, investment by a person resident outside India, investment advisers, derivatives, regulation of banking and financial institutions, competition law and insolvency laws. This course offers an introduction to the three most important securities laws: The Securities Contract Regulation Act of 1956, Securities Exchange Board of India Act of 1992 and the Depository Act of 1996. The course also explores the scope of more than 36 regulations framed by SEBI and its impact on structured growth of securities markets in India. The course also focusses on learning the tools in the deals and documents related to the securities market transactions, which would be helping in understanding the nature of disputes that arise in a financial market.
The students undergo most classes with a joint team of expert faculties from NISM and MNLU. The course will also engage some of the nation’s leading advocates in the field of corporate law and securities laws, as well as officers from regulators, whose work is oriented more toward practice and the profession as a visiting faculty.
LL.M. students are required to be in residence at NISM during the full one academic year. The course also offers practical smart lab training to the students to make them understand various processes and use of the technology in the securities markets.
Dedicated to enhancing an interdisciplinary legal and securities market education for the academic community, as well as for experienced legal and business practitioners related to financial markets, the course provides a scope to the sharpening of skills and learning the tools to be an effective business lawyer.
- For Students: An LL.B. Degree or an equivalent examination with a minimum of Fifty percent (50%) of marks or its equivalent grade in case of candidates belonging to General/OBC/PWD/NRI/PIO/OCI categories and Forty-Five percent (45%) of marks or its equivalent grade in case of candidates belonging to SC/ST categories. Candidates appearing/awaiting results of the qualifying examination can also apply and appear in the Entrance Test. However, the eligibility by such candidates shall have to be obtained by the cut-off date which will be notified along with the Notification of Entrance Test result, and in case such candidate is placed in compartment in the year of the admission would be treated as ineligible.
- Industry/Industry sponsored Candidates: The candidates who are working with the Regulators (SEBI, RBI, PFRDA, IRDA, IBBI, CCI etc.), Market Infrastructure Institutions (NSE, BSE, MCX, NSDL, CDSL etc.), Banks and Financial Institutions, Securities Market Intermediaries, Government Departments, Judiciary and Advocates for a period of three years and above are eligible to apply under this category. The other criteria regarding the eligibility for admission for the industry/industry sponsored candidates will be the same as applicable to the other candidates.
Is this entrance examination separate from CLAT examination conducted by NLU for admission in the regular LL.M. Program?
Yes, this examination is separate from CLAT examination. Candidates need to fill a separate form and go through a different all India entrance examination.
No of Seats
It is proposed to have total 60 seats asunder;
• 30 seats for students under All India and Maharashtra
• 20 seats for Industry/Industry sponsored candidates
• 10 Seats (under NRI/ NRI Sponsored quota)
• In case seats under any of the above categories remained vacant such seats will be allotted to the candidates falling in any of the above mentioned categories waitlist.
Q17. Where Does LL.M. in Investment and Securities Laws lead to?
NISM, being an institution established by the Securities market regulator (SEBI), has better connect with the industry. This facilitates remarkable placement prospects for the participants of its academic programs. Further, MNLU, Mumbai has very good placement records of its students. Depending upon the interest of the candidates, the participants may get placement opportunities in in the following fields.
• Legal professionals (Securities Markets): Market infrastructure Institutions (NSE, BSE, NSDL, CDSL, MCX e.t.c), Intermediary, Mutual fund, Alternate Investment Fund, SEBI
• Legal Researcher: Equities, Debt Markets, Currency Markets, Commodity Markets
• Legal Professionals (Banking): Banks, Financial institutions, Securitization companies, Recovery related work
• Legal Professionals with other regulators like RBI, CCI, PFRDA e.t.c • Corporate legal Advisory: Investment related legal advisory, Investment related legal advisory, Insolvency Resolution and Restructuring, Valuation, Compliance, Due diligence, Risk Management, Debenture Trusteeship and Custodianship • Court Practice: Practice in the field of Investment and Securities laws
Q18. What are the campus placement opportunities after completing this LL.M. course?
We provide placement assistance to our PGDM and PGPSM students and they are able to get good placements in the various Market Infrastructure institutions, Intermediaries, Banks, Financial institutions and other companies. The salary package of our management students ranges from 5 lacs to 12 lacs with average salary package of 6.5 lacs . The placement report of the current year 2019-20 is available on our website www.nism.ac.in . By using the same network, we will try to provide a similar kind of placement assistance to our LL.M. Students. We will also add in our network various law firms visiting MNLU, Mumbai for placements.
Some of the recruiters visiting our campus for the placements are as follows;
• Banks : ICICI Bank, Karur Vyas Bank, Catholic Syrian bank, IDBI Bank, Ratnakar Bank Ltd., South Indian Bank, Indus bank etc.
• Stock Exchanges : National Stock Exchange( NSE),Multi Commodity Exchange ( MCX), National Commodity & Derivatives Exchange Limited (NCDEX),Indian Commodity Exchange (ICEX) etc.
• Depository and Depository Participant: National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), Central Depository Services Limited (CDSL), Stock Holding Corporation of India Limited (SHCIL) etc.
• Mutual Funds: UTI Mutual Fund, SBI mutual Fund, Mahindra Mutual Fund , Aditya Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund etc.
• Intermediaries: AK capital, AUM Capital, Funds India, Morning Star etc.
Being a leading institute of the securities market education in India, we are also connected with leading advocates and some of the top law firms in Mumbai. Some of them are part of our guiding team as mentioned in our prospectus. We will take their help for the placements. Further, SEBI Guidelines mandate its registered intermediaries to have compliance officers. It provides a good opportunity for us to place our students with the intermediaries. Due to the wide exposure of investment and securities laws related subjects in our LL.M. Course, the students will also have an edge while appearing in the entrance examination for legal position advertised by the various regulators, Banks and financial institutions. Also, the Students will have the opportunity to sharpen their skills and practice in the specific field of Investment and Securities Laws. They can also start legal advisory services in the specialized fields of investment and securities laws.
Last date to Apply: May 22, 2020
Download Official Brochure here
Download FAQ’s here
Click here to apply