Do you love playing Rummy but are worried about the game’s legal status in India? No need to worry because Rummy is completely legal in India.
The highest court in the country, the Supreme Court, has declared Rummy as a game of skills. Skill-based games do not fall under the ambit of gambling and betting, and therefore, they’re excluded from such laws. All the laws in the country relating to gambling clearly state that games of skill will not be restricted. Under the laws, gambling games only relate to those where luck and chance are dominant factors. Rummy is not a game that can be played without the right skills, and therefore, it isn’t illegal in the country.
However, if you are a resident of the states of Orissa, Telangana, Nagaland, Andhra Pradesh, Sikkim and Assam, the courts have not provided any clear rulings on this matter. Therefore, in those states, the matter lies in ambiguous territories and is prohibited.
So, if you avoided downloading Rummy because you thought it was illegal, put your mind to rest. Instead, play now and get a chance to connect with online Rummy players from across the globe. All you need is a mobile device and a stable Internet connection to play the card game anywhere and anytime.
What skills are required to play Rummy?
Rummy is a card-based game that involves making valid sets out of thirteen cards distributed among the players on the table. Initially, each player is dealt with thirteen cards. If the number of players is two or four, a 52-cards deck is chosen for the game. Then, each player must draw and discard cards by turn until one player melds their cards with valid sets.
Sounds simple, right? But the game is much more complex and layered than it looks on the surface. Melding thirteen cards is not a piece of cake and can’t be left to chance or luck. You may argue that an element of luck or chance is played when the cards are distributed, but that’s where it ends. Furthermore, underdogs have been found to outperform and lead the scoreboard even if they were dealt unsatisfactory cards. With the right skills, a bad hand can be changed into a victory. That’s the beauty of the game. Read along to know the primary skills required to master Rummy.
- Immense patience – In an online Rummy game, patience is key to successful movements. Online rummy games have a time limit, and if the limit runs out, players lose their turn. However, it is crucial to stay calm and patiently play the next move as every move must be calculated. If you make any rash movements, your opponents will know you’re scared and have a bad hand.
- Observe – It is a skill to observe the cards that your opponents are drawing and discarding. Being aware of their movements will help you to plan your next move.
- Logical reasoning – Logical reasoning is a must-have skill when playing Rummy and other card games. Only monitoring or observing your opponents is not enough. You need to find a pattern of the cards that they’re drawing and discarding. It will give you an upper hand in beating your opponents. Once you recognize and interpret patterns, you can guess the cards your opponents possess.
- Emotional maturity – Losses and gains are two sides of the same coin. You may possess exceptional Rummy skills, but that doesn’t guarantee a victory every time. There might be times when you are at the other end of the leaderboard. However, it would help if you never exhibited your true feelings while the game is ongoing. There’s a lot to learn from a losing game. For instance, you can observe and follow the movements of your opponents.
- Analytical skills – Your skills to conceptualize, visualize and articulate the cards can immensely help you in Rummy. Are you with analyzing cards? If so, you already have the upper hand. By making information-based decisions, you can enhance your analytical skills. Leverage the fact that online Rummy lets you see the cards discarded by your opponents.
- Mathematical skills – Arguably, Rummy is a game of numbers. The chances of beating your opponents increases if you are good with mathematics. A clear understanding of the cards is possible by comprehending the basic concepts of permutation and combination. It will give you an idea of the cards on the closed deck and your opponents’ hands.
- Follower of rules – Be a rebel somewhere else, but not when playing online Rummy. There are fixed rules that Rummy players must abide by to make it to the top of the leaderboard. You are not allowed to meld thirteen cards according to your whims and fancies. The cards must be melded into valid sets and must meet the rules set by Rummy. So, before you start playing the game, ensure to go through the rules properly.
- Memory skills – Good memory is required to remember all the rules of the games and the cards your opponents have drawn or discarded.
Rummy is one of the most entertaining and popular card games in India. The game has been enjoyed for centuries, and until recently, people gathered to play Rummy during every holiday and celebration. The pandemic-induced lockdown forced people to look for other options. That’s where online Rummy comes in handy. The game can be downloaded on both iOS and Android devices. It can connect you with Rummy players across the globe, and you can enjoy hours of unlimited fun. The competitive game interface will not make you miss your offline card-based Rummy games.
If you haven’t downloaded Rummy yet, go ahead and start playing online. The game is legal in India, and you’ve got nothing to worry about.