ITMU School of Law is organizing a National Seminar on “Inter religious marriages: Legal issues and response”.
Date: 25th May, 2013
Venue: ITM University, Gurgaon – 122017
Inter religion marriages is a very delicate issue in the Indian society. Traditionally inter caste and inter religion marriages have always been frowned upon by the society. With globalization there is partial acceptance of inter religion marriages. However, there are several legal and social complications involved in it. Generally inter religion marriage is not possible under the personal laws. It is possible under the Special Marriage Act, 1954.
Hence in case of inter religion marriages one of the parties has to convert to the religion of the other party or they have to marry under the Special Marriage Act. In many cases under fear that their parents might separate them they take emotional decisions and enter into a form of marriage which is not recognized as a valid form of marriage under law. A news item published in newspaper “The Hitavada” on 2-4-2008, says that a Muslim girl married a Christian boy according to Hindu rituals to show their parents their love is beyond religion (without realizing it is not a valid marriage).
In some cases they enter into two different form of marriage, one according to the boy’s side and second according to the girl’s side to satisfy both the sides. In later stage when there is any matrimonial dispute they realize that no remedy can be provided to them as their marriage is not a valid marriage.
The seminar topics would focus on a range of subjects related with Inter Religious Marriages
- Where parties belong to two different religions at the time of marriage
- Where one of the party to the marriage converts to some other religion after marriage
Sub – Themes:
- Validity of Inter religious Marriages
- Reform in Family Law
- Inter relationship between Religion and law
- The philosophy of Uniform civil code in India
- Judicial Response to the issue
- Succession / Inheritance
Call for Papers:
Research papers are invited from scholars, researchers, practitioners, academicians and students on issues related to above themes. Author of selected papers would be given an opportunity to present their paper on the day of seminar.
- Paper should not exceed 5 pages.
- It must be typed in Times New Roman Font Size 12 on A4 size paper with 1″ margin on all sides with single line spacing using MS Word.
- Blue Book style of referencing and footnote will be appreciated. (Participants are requested to take note that ITM University is strictly against plagiarism).
- An abstract of 250 – 300 words and, a brief profile of the author indicating his/her designation, email ID, contact number and address shall be sent to the organizing secretary on or before 30th April, 2013 and the full paper shall be submitted on or before 18th May, 2013
- Deadline of Abstract Submission: 30th April, 2013
- Notification of Acceptance: 6th May, 2013
- Deadline of Full Paper Submission: 18th May, 2013
- Conference Date: 25th May, 2013
Prospective authors are invited to submit Abstract at email-id firstname.lastname@example.org, cc to email@example.com. After acceptance of the abstract the full paper should also be submitted on the same email-id.
Rs. 500/- for each participant
It has to be paid by DD drawn in favour of ITM University, Gurgaon on the day of seminar during Registration. All the participants will be provided with certificate.
Mrs. P. Lakshmi
Asst. Professor of Law
ITM University, Sector 23 A, Gurgoan – 122017
Phone: +91-9582214430, 91-124-2365811 to 12
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com