The Network for International Law Students (NILS) is an international, independent, non-political, non-profit-making organization, run by and for law students. NILS seeks to promote legal awareness among all the people and encourage communication and cooperation among law students and lawyers internationally; contribute to legal education; promote social responsibility in the field of law; increase opportunities for students to learn about other cultures and legal systems worldwide; and publicize educational and career opportunities in law. With national chapters across 25 countries in 5 continents of Australia, Africa, Asia, Europe and North America, NILS has established itself as the fastest growing student body organization.
ACTIVITIES UNDERTAKEN BY NILS
The NILS International Board has organized many events in India in association with its India Chapter including-
- NILS Summer School in 2015 on Competition Laws in Kochi, India
- NILS Summer School in 2016 on ‘Business and Human Rights’ in Bucharest, Romania.
- NILS Winter School, 2016 on ‘International Dispute Settlement’ at New Delhi, India
- Tour-De-Arbitration 2017 on ‘International Arbitration’ in London, United Kingdom
- Additionally, NILS also caters to a NILS International Law Review which has published two volumes in the past years on various facets of International Law.
NILS India, since its foundation in 2015, functions on two levels: through the National Board and its Local Chapters. NILS India has eleven local chapters spread across major cities of New Delhi, Noida, Mumbai, Pune, Patiala, Hyderabad, Bhopal, Cuttack, Vizag, Bilaspur and Dehradun and continues to grow expeditiously.
NILS India has been instrumental in organizing a plethora of events and competitions –
- NILS India Legal Essay Competition on ‘International Human Rights’ in Dec 2015.
- NILS Negotiations Workshop by Dr. Claudia Winkler LL.M. (Harvard) in New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai and Bangalore from Dec 2016 to Feb 2017.
- The Frankfurt Investment Arbitration Moot Court Competition – India Rounds in association with Mumbai Centre for International Arbitration in January 2017
- Delhi Metropolitan Education’s National Moot Court Competition, 2017 in Noida, Uttar Pradesh in March 2017.
- NILS India Blog- Publishes articles of law students from across the country on a monthly basis on pressing socio-legal issues.
The National Board functions is responsible for conducting events, competitions, publications and traineeship programs at the National level whereas the Local Chapter is responsible for planning and executing the same at city and state level to promote the development of law students across the country. The NILS Local Chapters have so far conducted a few independent events –
- Lecture on ‘Public International Law – What to expect?’ by NILS Mumbai Chapter
- Call for Papers on facets of International Law in collaboration with IJLI Journal by NILS Delhi, Symbiosis Law School, Noida.
- Legal Aid Awareness Session with Advocate Amaljeet Singh & Associates conducted by NILS Patiala, Punjabi University
- NILS Dehradun Workshop on “GST & its Implications” by NILS Dehradun, UPES School Of Law, Dehradun.
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
NILS India invites law students to stand for elections for the new board year which will commence from 1st Aug 2017. The Election Committee appointed by the National Board will conduct elections to constitute a new board.
The Election Procedure at NILS India is designed democratically to ensure ingenuity of the newly elected board each year. The Election Process will be held digitally and will be independent, transparent, apolitical and meritocracy based.
Law students holding a strong academic background displaying leadership and organizational skills along with experience in co-curricular activities will be strongly preferred.
Interested students are requested to send their Resumes along with a personal statement in line with their vision for NILS and how they can benefit the organization as a core member of the national board to email@example.com by 15th June 2017.
For more information on the election and nomination procedure, please visit – http://election.nilsindia.org/